Watch for updates on this Leader Development Committee Web page, including resources offered as free downloads and/or through the LWML Catalog. Look for new editions of our newsletter Follow the Leader that will be posted as free downloads.
Zone Tips and Resources
Zone leaders: look no further for leadership tips, planning ideas, and organizational helps. You’ll find all this and more in the resources below!
THE PLANNING ZONE
The Planning Zone has been compiled as a resource to assist leaders at the zone and society levels so they can:
- understand the organization of the LWML and “how it works;”
- be guided and inspired as they fulfill their leader role;
- identify key components of a zone/society event;
- lead and participate in a business meeting; and
- be empowered with resources for completing the leader tasks.
The Planning Zone is available here as a free download PDF
Christian Leaders Bible Study
“Wow! I wish I had a copy of that Bible study!” Have you ever said that after participating in a study with such a powerful message you wanted to share it with others?
It just might happen with this Bible study. Christian Leaders Bible Study, written by Rev. John Heckmann, past LWML Pastoral Counselor, is geared for Christian leaders and contains new insights into developing leadership attitudes and skills.
The Christian Leaders Bible Study is divided into three parts, each with a different focus. A study guide and separate leaders guide are available below as free downloads.
This is an excellent resource for districts to use with their board of directors, committee chairmen, or zone counterparts. Consider passing it along to use on the zone level at retreats or rallies, or as a resource for society leaders. Take a look today! It will be a blessing for you and your leaders.
Make Your LWML Young-Woman Friendly!
Are you looking for ways to reach out to young women? The new Leader Development resource Does Your LWML Welcome Young Women? is designed to help you identify areas in your group which may need strengthening to make it more welcoming. You will also find exercises to help you grow in those areas. The Time is NOW to be ready to welcome more young women as they participate with you!
LEADER DEVELOPMENT NEWSLETTER
What Does a Leader Look Like to You? We often think of a leader as the one who takes charge and gives directives. There are many types of leaders in this world. Some are dictators with a goal of power and wealth, but God’s servant-leaders have an entirely different goal — to follow and share our Savior, Jesus Christ. Read more in the Fall 2017 edition of Follow the Leader, "Mentoring."
VOLUNTEERS IN CHRIST'S MINISTRY
We know that nothing happens in LWML without volunteers! So how does one go about recruiting volunteers? And once those volunteers begin their service, how do you keep them engaged and enjoying their service to the Lord? A new resource, Volunteers in Christ’s Ministry, provides practical, helpful ways to build, encourage, support, and recognize your volunteer team.
Local society leaders may like to consider using this resource as they plan for LWML Sunday activities. Asking women outside of the LWML group to assist by handing out mission grant information (or LWML items), staffing the refreshment table, participating in a sketch, or reading a prayer during the service, could help them to learn about the LWML and encourage them to participate in other LWML activities. The Time is NOW!
We pray that the information in this resource will help you to recognize that everyone can be a part of God’s team of volunteers. It’s more than simply recruiting people to serve, but rather inviting others to grow in their faith and encouraging them to view their service as a privilege.
TIME MANAGEMENT LWML
Do you ever feel like you are trying to juggle too many things at one time? Does it seem like there is never enough time to finish what you start? If you agree, then we have the resource for you! Time Management: Manage Yourself, not Your Time! will help you rate the importance of a task, and then it will show you six simple steps to manage yourself.
So set aside a little chunk of time to read this document. You won’t be disappointed!
- Developing a Personal Mission Statement PDF — A three-step guide to helping individuals feel a sense of purpose and focus in life. Can be completed alone as a self-assessment or with others in a small-group setting.
- Event Planner & Speakers BrochurePDF — For assistance as you plan upcoming LWML events, check out the Event Planners and Guest Speakers: Partners with a Purpose brochure. It's an excellent resource for societies, zones, and districts that work with guest speakers. Download and print as many copies as you need. Enjoy!
- Flowering LWML LeadersPDF
- Gaining, Training, Maintaining Women of the LWMLPDF — The mission statement of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League does not address gaining, training, and maintaining members. So how do they come about?
- Gifted for ServicePDF — A Bible Study on Spiritual Gifts
- Leadership 101PDF
- Leadership Development Committee GuidelinesPDF
- Leadership in PairsPDF
- Look Of A LeaderPDF
- Lucy Leader is In!PDF
- LWML Servant Resources KitPDF
- Meetings 101PDF
- Mentoring Resource Kit
- Dr. Mary Hilgendorf's Naomi and Ruth Bible Study Participant's Guide PDF
- Helpful Resources for Mentoring with PowerPoint ScriptPDF
- Helpful Resources for Mentoring PowerPoint Presentation (PPT)
- Mentoring BrunchPDF
- Mentoring Match Up GamePDF
- Mentoring Match Up Game Answer KeyPDF
- Naomi and Ruth Bible Study PowerPoint Presentation (PPT, 1.08MB)
- Naomi and Ruth Bible Study PowerPoint Script PDF
- Motivation is ContagiousPDF
- Personal DevelopmentPDF — Are you all wrapped up in beautiful paper with ribbons and all the trimmings to match? What is inside that beautifully wrapped gift?
- Stay Calm and Transition OnPDF — (formerly Passing the Baton) A resource to assist outgoing and incoming leaders to complete an effective transition of office.
- Welcoming New Members ... into your church familyPDF — Participate in your church’s assimilation committee to coordinate a special plan for personally welcoming each new church family member.
- Woman to Woman Mentoring PDF
Welcome to Leader Development. As LWML members who seek to follow the Leader, our Lord and Savior Jesus, we serve with joy and thankfulness to our Lord, praying and knowing that God will hear us and work through us.
Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matt 5:16
Our committee's objective this biennium is: Empowered by the Holy Spirit, each LWML woman will discover her unique gifts as God-given for a servant leadership role.
We are seeking ways to share ideas and information with LWML women in our districts, zones, and societies. Please support our efforts by praying for us:
Nancy Kohrs, Chairman
We’d Love to Hear From You!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and insert “Leader Development” in the subject line.
Serve the Lord with gladness! Know that the Lord, He is God! It is He who made us and we are His … (Psalm 100:2a, 3a).