A printable PDF is available at the end of the article.
A new LWML group begins when a group of women in a congregation of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS), or in various other settings where groups of LCMS women live or work, wish to share their delight in serving the Lord through the LWML with others.
A good way to start a new group is with a Bible study, using material from the Lutheran Woman’s Quarterly. Free downloadable resources, including devotions, Bible studies, leader helps, PowerPoint presentations on LWML basics, and ideas for programming can be found on the website www.lwml.org. Additional Bible study workbooks and DVDs may be purchased through the online LWML Store.
The mission and ministry of the LWML can be explained by relating the purpose of the LWML to the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20). Both the LWML and district mission grants can be introduced, with a Mite Box (see description on the following pages) given to each participant, encouraging both prayer and financial support. Developing personal relationships among the women is also important to mentor and assist one another along life’s path.
Steps to form a new group:
- The prospective new local group contacts their LWML district president and informs her that a new group wishes to be affiliated with the LWML.
- The district president sends the district’s new LWML group form (if available; otherwise the form at the end of this document can be used) to the new local group leader; the leader of the new group fills it out and submits it to the district president.
- The district president completes the LWML New Group Report Form. She mails or scans/emails the form to the LWML President.
- The LWML President sends (through the LWML Office) the new group a letter of welcome.
- The new group can subscribe to the Lutheran Woman's Quarterly. Learn more about that below.
- Membership certificates give identity and name recognition to new groups and relate them to the national organization. Presentations are often made by the district president at zone rallies; the new group is then announced and recognized at the next LWML district convention.
To begin a bank account for your group, contact your district president for how to name the account and for the Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your district.